The Jeopardy Program is a gang prevention and intervention program for boys and girls ages 8 through 17 and their parents.
Jeopardy combines the strength of the community, neighborhood schools and the police department to affect positive, lifelong attitudinal changes in the young people so as to have a positive impact on the community. Jeopardy targets “at risk” children, offering a variety of educational and physical projects, from tutoring to martial arts.
The Goals Of The Jeopardy Program Are:
- Decrease truancy
- Improve grades
- Increase graduation rates
- Improve self-esteem
- Decrease the risk of gang involvement
- Improve conflict resolution and other life-affirming skills
- Improve and demonstrate goal-setting skills
- Improve reading and writing
- Decrease violent and other inappropriate behavior
The Jeopardy Program Works By:
- Identifying children that need help
- Notifying their parents and holding a family interview
- Referring families to local community counseling agencies
- Holding monthly family seminars
- Offering alternative activities to be selected by each child
- Monitoring the children monthly for at least one year
How You Can Become Involved
The Los Angeles Police Department’s Jeopardy Program is dedicated to helping children avoid a life of crime and gangs. As a community, we must realize that the continually growing gang problem is not going to disappear on its own.
The children of our community need to know that there are alternatives to gangs; places where they can belong, meet new friends, feel safe and develop physically and mentally. These young people need to know that there are concerned adults who will care about them now and in the future.
Things You Can Do To Help LAPD Devonshire PALS
- VOLUNTEER YOUR TIME as a tutor, sports coach, fund-raiser or class instructor (computers, crafts, photography, etc.)
- DONATE EQUIPMENT such as tables, chairs, chalkboards, art supplies, books, sports equipment, computers, printers, video games, televisions, pens and pencils, notebooks, paper, board games and puzzles
- OFFER A JOB to a young man or woman involved in the Jeopardy program
- CONTRIBUTE FUNDING to be used to further the solid and effective work of the Jeopardy Program
For more information about the Jeopardy Program and to find a program, please call:
LAPD YOUTH PROGRAMS at 213-486-6090